Health & Environmental Research Online (HERO)


Print Feedback Export to File
2010648 
Journal Article 
6:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonate aerobic biotransformation in activated sludge of waste water treatment plants 
Wang, N; Liu, J; Buck, RC; Korzeniowski, SH; Wolstenholme, BW; Folsom, PW; Sulecki, LM 
2011 
Yes 
Chemosphere
ISSN: 0045-6535
EISSN: 1879-1298 
Elsevier Science, P.O. Box 800 Kidlington Oxford OX5 1DX UK 
82 
853-858 
English 
The aerobic biotransformation of 6:2 FTS salt [F(CF2)6CH2CH2SO3- K+] was determined in closed bottles for 90d in diluted activated sludge from three waste water treatment plants (WWTPs) to compare its biotransformation potential with that of 6:2 FTOH [F(CF2)6CH2CH2OH]. The 6:2 FTS biotransformation was relatively slow, with 63.7% remaining at day 90 and all observed transformation products together accounting for 6.3% of the initial 6:2 FTS applied. The overall mass balance (6:2 FTS plus observed transformation products) at day 90 in live and sterile treatments averaged 70% and 94%, respectively. At day 90, the stable transformation products observed were 5:3 acid [F(CF2)5CH2CH2COOH, 0.12%], PFBA [F(CF2)3COOH, 0.14%], PFPeA [F(CF2)4COOH, 1.5%], and PFHxA [F(CF2)5COOH 1.1%]. In addition, 5:2 ketone [F(CF2)5C(O)CH3] and 5:2 sFTOH [F(CF2)5CH(OH)CH3] together accounted for 3.4% at day 90. The yield of all the stable transformation products noted above (2.9%) was 19 times lower than that of 6:2 FTOH in aerobic soil. Thus 6:2 FTS is not likely to be a major source of PFCAs and polyfluorinated acids in WWTPs. 6:2 FTOH, 6:2 FTA [F(CF2)6CH2COOH], and PFHpA [F(CF2)6COOH] were not observed during the 90-d incubation. 6:2 FTS primary biotransformation bypassed 6:2 FTOH to form 6:2 FTUA [F(CF2)5CF=CHCOOH], which was subsequently degraded via pathways similar to 6:2 FTOH biotransformation. A substantial fraction of initially dosed 6:2 FTS (24%) may be irreversibly bound to diluted activated sludge catalyzed by microbial enzymes. The relatively slow 6:2 FTS degradation in activated sludge may be due to microbial aerobic de-sulfonation of 6:2 FTS, required for 6:2 FTS further biotransformation, being a rate-limiting step in microorganisms of activated sludge in WWTPs. 
6:2 Fluorotelomer sulfonate (6:2 FTS); Aerobic biotransformation; Perfluorocarboxylic acids; Perfluoropentanoic acid (PFPeA); Perfluorohexanoic acid (PFHxA); Activated sludge 
PFAS
• 5:3 acid
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic
• FtOH 6:2
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic
• FtS 6:2
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
• ^Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS)
     PFHpA (375-85-9)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     PFHxA (307-24-4)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     PFPeA (2706-90-3)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     PFBA (375-22-4)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     FtS 6:2 (27619-97-2)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     FtOH 6:2 (647-42-7)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
     5:3 acid (914637-49-3)
          Literature Search
               Pubmed
               WOS
• PFBA
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic
• PFHpA
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic
• PFHxA
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic
     Title and Abstract Screening
          Excluded
               Not relevant to PECO
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
• PFPeA
     Literature Search
          Pubmed
          WOS
     Screening Results
          Excluded/Not on Topic